What is Benylin Dry Coughs Night Syrup?
Benylin Dry Cough Night syrup is perhaps one of the best cough medicines for short term use when you cannot sleep due to a troublesome dry cough. This linctus contains 3 different active ingredients:
- Dextromethorphan, a cough suppressant.
- Levomenthol is a decongestant that works by relieving the stuffiness in your nose to make breathing easier.
- Diphenhydramine, a drowsy antihistamine that helps to dry a runny nose and cause sedation, helping you drop off to sleep.
What is a Dry Cough?
A dry cough is also known as non-productive cough, or tickly cough as there is no phlegm.
A dry cough can be very irritating and typical triggers can include dust, foreign bodies or an infection that causes inflammation in your upper respiratory tract (airways).
On occasion even some medicines can cause dry coughs, if this happens please speak with your Doctor.
How To Take Benylin Dry Coughs Night Syrup:
Adults and Children over 12 years old: Take two 5 ml spoonfuls at bedtime followed by two 5 ml spoonfuls every 6 hours or two 5 ml spoonfuls four times a day.
DO NOT take more than 4 doses in 24 hours.
DO NOT give to children under 12 years old.
Each 5ml of Benylin Dry Cough Night Time Contains:
Dextromephorphan 6.5mg, Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride 14mg and Levomenthol 2mg
Also Contains: Liquid Glucose, Sucrose, Ethanol, Sodium Benzoate (E211), Caramel (E150), Ponceau 4R (E124).
Who Should Not Use Benylin Dry Coughs Night Syrup?
This medicine should not be used by the following groups of patients:
- Patients who have a known allergy to diphenhydramine, dextromethorphan, levomenthol
- Patients who use SSRI Antidepressants, like Fluoxetine and Paroxetine
- Children under 12 years old
- Patients at risk of respiratory failure
- Patients who suffer from acute or chronic asthma, or coughs caused by chronic lung problems like emphysema and COPD
Benylin Dry Coughs Night Syrup is not suitable if you use any of the following medicines without first speaking with your GP or Pharmacist for medical advice:
- Patients who currently use a MAOI or finished an MAOI in the last 14 days
- Antihistamines eg Promethazine, Diphenhydramine,
- Tricyclic Antidepressants eg Amitriptyline
- Anticholinergics eg Atropine, Hyoscine
- Tranquilisers, Barbiturates and Hypnotics, eg Diazepam
- Antiarrhythmics eg Amiodarone, quinidine, flecainide
- Opioid Painkillers eg Codeine
If you have any questions about how this product may interact with your current medicines or conditions please contact us and one of our pharmacists will be more than happy to help.
What Side Effects Could I Expect?
Benylin Night Dry Cough is generally well tolerated but the following side effects tend to be the most common:
- Blurred Vision
- Dry Mouth
- Upset Stomach
This list is not exhaustive and for less common side effects please refer to the patient information leaflet.
Driving and Using Machinery
This medicine may make you feel sleepy or dizzy, if affected please do not drive or operate machinery.
Can I Use Benylin Dry Coughs Syrup If I Am Pregnant or Breastfeeding?
If you are pregnant or breast-feeding, think you may be pregnant or planning to have a baby, ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice before taking this medicine.
How Do I Know If I Am Addicted To Night Time Benylin Dry Cough?
If you take the medicine according to the instructions on the pack it is unlikely that you will become addicted to the medicine. However, if the following apply to you it is important that you talk to your doctor:
- You need to take the medicine for longer periods.
- You need to take more than the recommended dose.
- When you stop taking the medicine you feel very unwell but you feel better if you start taking the medicine again
Can I Buy Benylin Dry Coughs Night Syrup Over The Counter?
This medicine is available to buy over the counter. You do not need a prescription to buy Benylin Mucus Cough Night but you will be asked some questions about your medical health when you add it to your basket. Our pharmacist will check your consultation prior to despatch to ensure it is safe and appropriate for you.
Always read the patient information leaflet before using this medicine.
This product is a medicine, and the sales are monitored to ensure the safety of our customers. From time to time we may impose limits on the amounts you may purchase and apply restrictions to the frequency of orders. For helpful advice please read Our Policies in the footer of the site to understand more.
If you are pregnant, trying to become pregnant, or breastfeeding, speak to your doctor or our pharmacist before taking this product. If you suffer from any allergies, ask your doctor or our pharmacist if this medicine is right for you.
Store all medicines out of sight and reach of children and below 25c in a dry place away from direct sunlight.
Please read the included leaflet carefully before using this product and if you have any questions please contact one of our pharmacists for more information.
Product Images: Whilst we try to keep our product images up to date we may, particularly for non-branded products ship the same medicine but in different packaging. If you have any questions about this policy please get in touch.
At Travelpharm we offer FREE delivery on most orders over £35, we aim to provide the best price and service at all times. With genuine products dispensed from our UK pharmacy, we aim to offer a website and service that strives to help you choose the most efficient, suitable medicines for you and your family.