For short term use only.
Calprofen is a strawberry flavoured Ibuprofen suspension for babies and children from the manufacturer of Calpol.
Use Calprofen solution for:
- Fever (raised temperature).
- Post-immunisation fever.
- Teething and toothache.
- Colds and Influenza symptoms.
- Sore throat.
- Minor muscular aches and pains.
How to take Calprofen:
Post immunisation fever in babies and children 3 months and over: 2.5ml followed by another 2.5ml six hours later if necessary. Do not give more than 2 doses in 24 hours, and do not use in children and babies who weigh less than 5kg.
|Babies under 3 months||Not recommended|
|3 months - 6 months (weighing over 5kg)||2.5ml may be taken 3 times in 24 hours. Do not use for more than 24 hours. Please visit your doctor.|
|6 months - 12 years||2.5ml 3 times a day|
|1 year - 2 year||2.5ml 3 to 4 times a day|
|3 years - 7 years||5ml 3 to 4 times a day|
|8 years to 12 years||10ml (5ml+5ml) 3 to 4 times a day|
Doses should usually be given every 6-8 hours, leave at least 4 hours between doses.
DO NOT give to babies aged 3-5 months for more than 24 hours.
DO NOT give to children aged 6 months and older for more than 3 days.
DO NOT give to babies under 3 months.
If symptoms persist or worsen consult your doctor promptly.
Directions For Use:
1: Shake the bottle for at least 10 seconds and remove the cap.
2: There is a plug with a hole in the neck of the bottle. Insert the end of the syringe in to the hole and ensure it is secure.
3: Hold the syringe in place and turn the bottle upside down and gently pull down the plunger to either 2.5 ml or 5 ml as appropriate (see tables for the correct dose).
4: Turn the bottle the right way up.
5: Remove the syringe by holding onto the bottle and twisting out gently.
6: Place the syringe inside the child’s mouth against the cheek and press the plunger slowly to gently release the medicine.
7:After use, the plug should remain in the neck of the bottle. Wipe the plug and neck clean and rinse the cap before replacing.
8:The syringe should be washed and dried after use.It should be cleaned by hand without removing the plunger.
Calprofen Oral Suspension Contains:
Ibuprofen 100mg in 5ml.
Who Is Calprofen Suspension Not Suitable For?
Do not give your child this medicine if:
- They have had a bad reaction after taking Ibuprofen, any of the other ingredients, aspirin or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAIDs) painkillers.
- They weigh less than 5kg.
- They are taking any other anti-inflammatory painkillers (NSAIDs) or aspirin with a daily dose above 75mg.
- They have had (or has had two or more episodes of) a stomach ulcer, perforation or bleeding.
- They have severe kidney, heart or liver failure.
- Immediately before or after heart surgery.
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if:
- Your child has an infection.
- Your child has or has previously had high blood pressure, heart or artery problems or a stroke because there is a small increased risk of a heart attack or stroke with Ibuprofen.
- Your child has any conditions which may put them at risk of heart problems e.g. suffers from diabetes, has high cholesterol, or if there is a family history of heart disease or stroke.
- Your child has or has previously had liver, kidney, heart or bowel problems, or is dehydrated.
Whilst Calprofen is generally well tolerated, the following side effects can occur:
If your child experiences any of the following, stop giving the medicine and seek immediate medical help:
- blood in the faeces (stools/motions).
- black tarry stools
- vomiting blood or dark particles that look like ground coffee
- a severe allergic reaction which may cause swelling of the face, tongue or throat, wheezing, shortness of breath, skin reddening or rash (which may be severe and include blistering or peeling of the skin), itching, light-headedness or fainting due to a fall in blood pressure, racing heart or fluid retention e.g. swollen ankles or less urine passed than normal
- stiff neck, headache, nausea, vomiting, fever and disorientation
- a severe skin reaction known as DRESS syndrome can occur. Symptoms of DRESS include: skin rash, fever, swelling of lymph nodes and an increase of eosinophils (a type of white blood cell).
- a red, scaly widespread rash with bumps under the skin and blisters mainly localized on the skin folds, trunk, and upper extremities accompanied by fever at the initiation of treatment
Can I Buy Calprofen Suspension Over The Counter?
This medicine is available to buy over the counter. You do not need a prescription to buy Calprofen Suspension but you may be asked some questions about your medical health when you add it to your basket. Our pharmacist will check your consultation prior to despatch to ensure it is safe and appropriate for you.
Always read the patient information leaflet before using this medicine.
This product is a medicine, and the sales are monitored to ensure the safety of our customers. From time to time we may impose limits on the amounts you may purchase and apply restrictions to the frequency of orders. Please helpful advice please read Our Policies in the footer of the site to understand more.
If you are pregnant, trying to become pregnant, or breastfeeding, speak to your doctor or our pharmacist before taking this product. If you suffer from any allergies, ask your doctor or our pharmacist if his medicine is right for you.
Store all medicines out of sight and reach of children and below 25c in a dry place away from direct sunlight.
Please read the included leaflet carefully before using this product and if you have any questions please contact one of our pharmacists for more information.
Please contact your GP if appropriate regarding this product.
Product Images: Whilst we try to keep our product images up to date we may, particularly for non-branded products ship the same medicine but in different packaging. If you have any questions about this policy please get in touch.
At Travelpharm we offer FREE delivery on most orders over £35, we aim to provide the best price and service at all times. With genuine products dispensed from our UK pharmacy, we aim to offer a website and service that strives to help you choose the most efficient, suitable medicines for you and your family.