What is Nasonex Spray?
Nasonex spray containing the corticosteroid Mometasone Furoate is intended for use in the nose. Regular daily use of a steroid nasal spray like Nasonex is great at reducing inflammation in the sinuses and nasal passages which can be triggered by airborne allergens like pollen.
Contrary to popular belief hay fever is not just a condition of the summer. There are hay fever seasons for different types of plants, and in those susceptible allergies can persist all year. This is known as perennial rhinitis and during winter months allergies can be triggered by mould spores and dust mites.
Typical symptoms of hay fever and perennial allergic rhinitis include:
- runny or blocked nose
- pressure around forehead and cheekbones
- loss of smell
How to use Nasonex Nasal Spray?
The usual dose of Nasonex is two sprays into each nostril once daily. Once your symptoms are under control the dose should be reduced to one spray in each nostril daily. Whilst suitable for regular daily it is advisable to discontinue this medicine periodically, especially if your rhinitis is seasonal.
Each metered spray of Nasonex contains 50mcg of Mometasone Furoate
Symptoms should start improving within a few days but the real benefits obtained from Nasonex only occur if the medicine is used every day to prevent symptoms rather than treat them.
Preparing your nasal spray for use:
Your Nasonex Nasal Spray has a dust cap which protects the nozzle and keeps it clean. Remember to take this off before using the spray and to replace it after use. If you are using the spray for the first time you need to ‘prime’ the bottle by pumping the spray 10 times until a fine mist is produced.
- Gently shake the bottle.
- Put your forefinger and middle finger either side of the nozzle and your thumb underneath the bottle. Do Not pierce the nasal applicator.
- Point the nozzle away from you and then press down with your fingers to pump the spray 10 times until a fine mist is produced.
If you have not used the spray for 14 days or more, you need to “re-prime” the bottle by pumping the spray 2 times until a fine mist is produced.
How to use your nasal spray:
- Shake the bottle gently and remove the dust cap.
- Gently blow your nose.
- Close one nostril and put the nozzle into the other nostril as shown. Tilt your head forward slightly, keeping the bottle upright.
- Start to breathe in gently or slowly through your nose and whilst you are breathing in squirt a spray of fine mist into your nose by pressing down ONCE with your fingers.
- Breathe out through your mouth. Repeat step 4 to inhale a second spray in the same nostril if applicable.
- Remove the nozzle from this nostril and breathe out through the mouth.
- Repeat steps 3 to 6 for the other nostril. After using the spray, wipe the nozzle carefully with a clean handkerchief or tissue and replace the dust cap.
Who should not use Nasonex Nasal Spray?
This medicine should not be used by the following groups of patients without first seeking medical advice from your GP or our Pharmacist:
- Those under 18 years of age, please visit your GP for advice
- If you are allergic to any of the ingredients
- Have an untreated infection in your nose
- If you have recently had your nose operated on. You should wait until your nose has healed
Nasonex is not suitable if you use any of the following medicines or groups of medicines without first speaking with your GP or Pharmacist for advice:
- Other corticosteroids by mouth or injection, the effects may be cumulative
- Some HIV medications
If you have any questions about how this product may interact with your current medicines or conditions please contact us and one of our pharmacists will be more than happy to help.
What side effects could I expect
This steroid nasal spray is generally well tolerated but the following side effects tend to be the most common:
- Nose bleeds
- Sore nose or throat
- ulcer in the nose
- Respiratory tract infection
This list is not exhaustive and for less common side effects please refer to the patient information leaflet.
Can I use Nasonex if I am Pregnant or Breastfeeding?
This medicine is NOT suitable for patients who are pregnant or breastfeeding as the manufacturer advises avoidance due to a lack of safety data. Please speak with your pharmacist or GP for further information if you are suffering from hay fever and are pregnant/breastfeeding.
Can I buy Nasonex over the counter?
This medicine is not available to buy over the counter because it is prescription only. But don’t worry, because at Travelpharm we employ experienced non-medical prescribers registered with the General Pharmaceutical Council to prescribe Nasonex for you. Simply fill out the questionnaire carefully when checking out and one of prescribers will check your suitability prior to despatch.
This product is a medicine, and the sales are monitored to ensure the safety of our customers. From time to time we may impose limits on the amounts you may purchase and apply restrictions to the frequency of orders. For helpful advice please read Our Policies in the footer of the site to understand more.
If you are pregnant, trying to become pregnant, or breastfeeding, please speak to your doctor or our pharmacist before taking this product. If you suffer from any allergies, ask your doctor or our pharmacist if his medicine is right for you.
Store all medicines out of sight and reach of children and below 25c in a dry place away from direct sunlight.
Please read the included leaflet carefully before using this product and if you have any questions please contact one of our pharmacists for more information.
Please contact your GP if appropriate regarding this product.
Product Images: Whilst we try to keep our product images up to date we may, particularly for non-branded products ship the same medicine but in different packaging. If you have any questions about this policy please get in touch.
At Travelpharm we offer FREE delivery on most orders over £35, we aim to provide the best price and service at all times. With genuine products dispensed from our UK pharmacy, we aim to offer a website and service that strives to help you choose the most efficient, suitable medicines for you and your family.